Monday, March 23, 2015

You Squeeze My Finger Tightly

You squeeze my finger tightly
As I gently pull my hand away
It is time to go to sleep, my dear
You must let go of the day

I still rock you to sleep
Or nurse you, if you'd like
But I hold you with tears in my eyes
Because I am emotional tonight

You started solids today
I knew this day would come
You're six months old tomorrow
Halfway to one

From the time you grew in my tummy
It's been just me and you
Until today, you've only ever had breastmilk
Something we both must get used to

I know where this is headed
I know what today represents
Kindergarten, graduations, weddings
Another step towards independence

It's too much for me to handle
My heart wants you to stay small
So that I can hold you anytime I want
And never have to let go at all

But right now you squeeze my finger tightly
So, tonight, I will stay
It is time to go to sleep, my dear
I will love you for always

No comments:

Post a Comment